Are you looking for an overnight hiking bag? A multi-day trek is at the top of my list for outdoor recreation. I love the challenge it brings as well as the absolutely stunning backcountry views it provides. The Gregory DEVA 70L helps me do it.
My Significant other and I purchased new backpacking bags in an attempt to find extra comfort and better packing ability. After some research, we decided on Gregory Packs and what a great decision it was! Our packs have proven to be durable, comfortable, and able to carry everything we need for an extended overnight trip in the great outdoors.
Is Gregory a Good Backpack Brand?
Gregory packs are noted for their innovative design. Their obsession with quality, comfort, and durability does not go unnoticed. Founded by a boy scout with a love for outdoor design, Wayne Gregory, created a backpack company that was the first to build backpacks in different frame, harness, and waist belt sizes. Gregory is the first (and still only) pack manufacturer to develop a waist belt system that adjusts to fit different hip angles, instantly improving load transfer. They also developed the center-locking bar tack, a stitch that ends and locks off on the center of a seam instead of the side for increased strength at major stress points. All of these innovative design ideas help Gregory stand up to its well-known standard of durability. Taking suggestions from customers and implementing them has to be what this rugged outdoors company does best.
Gregory Deva 70L Specs
I went with the Women’s Small Deva 70 liter pack in Egyptian Blue. My significant other went with the Male equivalent, the Baltoro, but only 65 liters. I prefer having a few more as far as liters are concerned because, as a woman especially, I tend to have to carry a few more items.
Here are my specs:
- Height: 5’9”
- Weight: 165ish lbs
- Build: Athletic
- Waist: 31”
Deva 70 Size Small specs:
|Fits Torso||16”-18” / 40.6 – 45.7cm|
|Fits Hips/Waist||27″ – 47″ / 68.5 – 119.4cm|
|Weight||4.61lbs / 2.09kg|
|Volume||60L / 3661cu in|
|Rain Cover Weight||0.21lbs / 95g|
|Sidekick Weight||0.29lbs / 132g|
|Max Carry Weight||50lbs / 23kg|
|Packed Dimensions||28″ x 12″ x 12.5″ / 7.1cm x 30.5cm x 31.8cm|
Choosing what size to order was tough because in no other way am I ever considered a ‘small’, however, I am very happy that a small is what I went with after completing the necessary measurements and kind of falling between a small and medium – it fits perfectly!
Gregory Deva 70L Design and Material
This pack is specifically designed for women. It is an internal frame back with top, U-zip, and bottom compartment access. There are 9 external compartments to organize everything you need for your weekend just right. The external material of the pack is 100% Nylon while the frame is made of aluminum. The lining of the pack is 135D High-Density Embossed Polyester while the bottom is made of 630D High-Density Nylon for extra holding power.
Some of my favorite design features include the front U-zip which opens the backpack up from the front similar to a suitcase; the pack is a top-loader with a bottom sleeping bag compartment that also allows access to the main compartment through a removable divider. You can access and organize your gear much more easily with the front U-zip. Another favorite is the WeatherShield Hip Belt pocket, which protects your valuables although my new cell phone is too big for it. And finally, the integrated, color-matched rainfly has its own compartment that allows you to easily carry it with you and utilize it when necessary. This is huge when you’re in the backcountry!
Gregory Deva 70 Features
- Response A3 Suspension with Auto Angle Adjust (A3) hip belts and shoulder harnesses rotate to your unique body geometry for a custom fit.
- Women’s Specific 3D Air hip belts and harness designed with Gregory’s pre-curved technology and multi-density LifeSpan EVA foam construction to eliminate hot spots and relieve pressure in sensitive areas.
- Wishbone aluminum frame with anti-barreling cross-stay provides structure for the Response A3 system and delivers weight to the ComfortGrip lumbar pad with removable LumbarTune pad to customize fit.
- Matrix breathable back panel with layered, multi-density foam for the right balance of support, airflow, and cushioning.
- Full body U-zip main opening on front of the bag for easy unloading when you get to camp.
- Custom fitted rain cover included – stows in a quick-access zippered pocket on the underside of the top lid.
- Removable hydration sleeve converts into fast and light SideKick Daypack with shoulder harnesses and accessory pocket. These are color matched to your pack.
- H20 resistant WeatherShield hipbelt pocket with YKK AquaGuard® zipper for quick access to you phone or camera.
- Sunglass QuickStow system on shoulder harness for quick, secure and scratch-free access to your shades.
- SideWinder bottle holster for one-handed on-the-go water bottle access – tucks away when not in use.
- Stretch mesh side stash pocket large enough for a second water bottle, trekking poles, sandals, snacks, etc.
- Dual front zippered organization pockets with heavy-duty stretch mesh stash pocket.
- Double barrel top lid design with dual zippered pockets and a flexible center divider for larger items.
- Zippered bottom sleeping bag compartment with removable divider.
- Dual adjustable attachment loops and upper shock locks for trekking poles or ice axes.
- Custom comfort-grip molded zipper pulls.
- Four top pocket attachment points for solar or accessory attachment, plus dual lower attachment points.
Should you Buy the Gregory Deva 70L?
I’ve brought this pack on a multitude of trips. Most recently, I attempted the 136-mile thru-hike of the Northville Placid Trail. The bag packed beautifully and made for breezy camp pitching. I was unable to complete my hike, but not to any fault of my bag! My knee simply would not cooperate and I had to bail on the trail on day 5 at mile 83.
This pack has serviced me in a number of multi-day Adirondack backcountry overnights as well as an overnight trip to the White Mountains in New Hampshire. I haven’t had a single moment where I wished I was wearing something else.
If you’re looking for a pack meant for city travel, I suggest the Standard Luggage Carry-On Backpack. I love this backpack for airplane travel and am able to fit enough inside for a week’s worth of travel; if you’re a real deal backpacker/traveler and aspire to travel for weeks on end – this is hands down the backpack for you!