Create the Perfect Distance Learning Schedule for your Child

Stay at home orders and social distancing can be tough for everybody, but it’s especially hard on your kids! Every learner is different, and it is so important -now more than ever- that students are provided the best opportunity to learn. By designing and providing your student(s) an at-home distance learning schedule for them to follow, you’re only improving their productivity and therefore their success rate. This article will provide you with a few questions you should be asking while creating your child’s digital learning schedule.

Download this PDF to help you organize!

What Time Does Your Student Tend to Wake Up?

Are they an early riser or do they like to sleep in? Although your child might be forced to get up early to go to school, being in the physical building can play a huge role in their productivity. If they naturally tend to sleep in, let them wake up a little later and start their schedule then. If they are, in fact, an early riser then maybe they can start their school day a tad earlier.

How Does Your Student’s Daily Routine Normally Go? And Can We Mirror This In Their Distance Learning Schedule?

It’s nice to have flexibility now that we’re home, but generally, a routine of some sort is created because it is what helps us feel our best. For example, when I used to go to work every day at the school building I had a set schedule; I woke up early, went to the school to workout, showered and got ready for the day in my office, and ate breakfast as I welcomed students at the door. I’ve been allowing myself to sleep in at home, however, I’m still working out and showering to start my school day. I first check in to my e-mail and student work while eating breakfast… it’s what helps me feel ready for my day.

With this being said, try to keep them on a regular sleep schedule during the school week. This will definitely help to keep their normal school-day schedule as regular as possible. This will only help to increase your students during the ‘school day’.

When Does Your Student Have Live Lessons or Meetings?

Does your child have a specific time they must be present for a google meet or zoom lesson? If this is the case – put these times into their schedule first and fill the rest around it. If your student has simply been provided work to complete on their own, switch up when they work on each class throughout the week.

How Long Should My Student be Working Each Day?

Younger students will inevitably be doing less work per day than students in older grades. This is another reason why a distance learning schedule is so important – it will really help us stay on track with the times our students should be completing work. The school district that I work for has suggested these time frames for our kiddos.  Follow this guideline to make sure your student isn’t under or overworking themselves.

Digital Learning Working Time by Kaitlyn Fortier

What Time Does Your Student Become Hungry?

All school-aged children should eat breakfast and lunch at some point in their school day. Make sure this is on their schedule so it doesn’t get overlooked. Properly fueling your body means properly fueling your brain! Snacks are also encouraged throughout the school day and beyond. Keep a healthy snack or two at their working space so they can fuel themselves without having to even get up. Some of my favorite healthy snacks to munch on while grading/creating lessons are clementines, carrots and hummus, and protein/granola bars. It’s important your student isn’t running on empty or lacking nutrients.

When Does Your Student Become Antsy?

The schedule might change with time and experience. If your student is losing focus around the same time every day, add a brain break in there. You can tie a special area project in at this time if it’s something they enjoy. For example, if your kiddo loves art then schedule this as their art time. They’ll be taking a break from academic work they might be less interested in but they will still be getting work done. If that’s not working take a break from working entirely; take 30-45 minutes to go outside and get some fresh air if possible or do whatever it is that will help your child be more successful in their next half of the day.

Does Your State Require Physical Education?

Physical activity is key. There are so many amazing benefits of Physical Education – exercise releases endorphins which help an individual to feel good. In this time of social distancing, good feelings are hard to come by. With that being said, you should try and go above and beyond the required Phys Ed time or activity when possible. Work physical activity into the schedule, a 15-minute walk/jog here, 20 minutes of Zumba there, maybe a little yoga, or team sports if that’s a possibility at your house.

I don’t say this just because I am a Phys Ed teacher, I say this because I am hyperaware of the benefits of moving on young brains and bodies. Your student should be receiving 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous Physical Activity a day – more on that can be found on my teacher YouTube channel where I also share secondary-level appropriate workouts and playlists. Another great way to get outside and active would be to find a nearby local or National Park that’s open and explore!

Does Your Student Miss Their Social Interactions?

Schedule face time chats with their friends during lunch, or to work together on similar work. This will definitely boost morale and help your student to feel a sense of normalcy – if they were at school they would be talking to friends while completing work and eating lunch anyways. Do you live near some friends? Maybe you can go for a socially distanced walk, or play ball with clean hands from a distance. These little things can make a massive difference.

If your student is missing a particular teacher, reach out to them. I’ve contacted students whom I know are struggling with social distancing to offer up google meet times. 10 minutes of catching up, face to face, albeit digital, can go a really long way. Your child’s educators would love to help! I know my school counselor and social worker have been hosting short google meets for groups of friends to catch up and chat about their social distancing experience in their presence; reach out to someone and ask for guidance!

Is Your District Doing Any Fun Community Building?

I know my district is doing different themes each day/week and calling them spirit weeks. Families can send in their photos to be shared on our district pages. This gives the kiddos something to look forward to each day – make time in their schedule to be creative in whatever topic their school has chosen for the day/week.

One of my favorite mama’s to follow on Instagram had an AWESOME space-themed day!

If their district isn’t on this train, create a theme for the week in your home! It will be fun for all. You could do a Disney themed week, intergalactic, international, or anything else you can think of. Watch a movie that falls into the theme on one night, try and cook a meal or treat that matches the theme on another, or create a craft, whatever you do, make some fun out it! It’ll be a welcome fun distraction for all parties.

Is Your Student An Athlete Who’s Missing Their Spring Season?

This is tough. I am a teacher and a coach and I’m missing my athletes hard right now… I can’t even fathom what they’re feeling missing an entire season of their High School Athletic career. If this is true for your student, be sure to schedule time in their day to dedicate to their craft. Whether they play a sport, an instrument, maybe they’re a member of the drama club or had a big technology competition coming. Make time for those things each day. If not for anything else, it will help them realize that you feel for them.

This time can include practice. I’ve been sending my runners (I coach Track and Field) workouts – some of which can be found on my YouTube channel linked above. The coaches have held google meets so everyone could see and talk with one another. Other teams in my district have created fun video compilations of each athlete completing a skill from their sport. The possibilities are truly endless and can really boost morale!

Nothing can replace their missed seasons… I miss my athletes!

You don’t have to reinvent the wheel during digital learning. Chances are, your child’s teacher is doing the legwork and they’re simply hoping for your support. Create a distance learning schedule for your student and do your best to stick to it. If you’re looking for resources, I’ve included a chart that might help you out.

Perfect Distance Learning Schedule Resources

SecondaryPhys EdLive Love Party Zumba
SecondaryMathKahn Academy
SecondaryScienceScience Bob
SecondarySocial StudiesNational Geographic
SecondaryWorld LanguageDuolingo
K-12All SubjectsKahoot
Resources compiled from some of the best educators I know!

Published by expeditioneducation

Hi there, I'm Kati! I'm an outdoor recreation loving public school teacher who plans epic adventures on her school breaks. If you like to explore and experience beautiful new places on a budget, then let me help you plan your next trip!

37 thoughts on “Create the Perfect Distance Learning Schedule for your Child

1. expeditioneducation – Hello! My name is Kati. I am currently a Middle School Teacher and three season sports coach in upstate New York. If you take a look at my blog you will learn that I love being outside, exploring places near and far, and aspire to create this website into something that inspires others to connect with what's around them. My hope is that you read something here that inspires you to learn more and challenge yourself every day. Don't be afraid to leave your comfort zone for that is where true growth​ begins! Thank you so much for reading!
      expeditioneducation says:

Amen right! All these poor parents

1. CA – Cebu City, Philippines – Christy Angeli Wilhoit is a Filipina, residing in Cebu City. She likes to write and take photos of interesting and inspiring experiences that she'd like to impart to anyone who is willing to embrace the same. She is a believer of a higher power and of the importance of the effects of the different types of energies in her surroundings. She is enlightened and currently managing life intentionally.
    CA says:

The Quarantine situation has been tough for everyone. And I can say that even though it’s tough on the kids of today, they are still very blessed with how technology has paved the way for learning continuity.

expeditioneducation says:

Technology to the rescue for educators these days…

2. Seems very difficult to educate your children when that’s not your skillset. Good tips for people without much experience in this field.

3. We really don’t have a schedule! I just tell my kids to finish their work when it’s due and if I get an email from their teacher saying it’s not, there will be trouble. Luckily my kids are older so I don’t have to monitor much!

expeditioneducation says:

Different things work for different families! I know as a teacher, waiting for someone to not complete their work to send an email or phone call home can be a pain haha I teach about 400 students… at one point about three weeks in I sent 180 individual emails. It was pure torture! Haha

4. This is such a helpful post for the many parents who have now found themselves as teachers also. Luckily, I personally only have a three year old and a one year old, so neither have reached school age. But we are working on learning shapes, colors and numbers. You have described a great routine.

5. A routine is so important for kids, and adults! As a substitute teacher I can only imagine how some of my students are doing right now trying to find some form of structure in their new daily lives. I can’t praise you enough for this post! More parents need to see this.

expeditioneducation says:

Right! I feel so hard for my students

You’re welcome

6. This is such an important thing for parents right now. Very few people are teachers and may take for granted how a daily schedule helps their kids feel secure. Having a schedule like this could be easier and more beneficial for everyone!

7. Alissa Ackerman – Southern California – Hello! My name is Alissa and i love all things creative--whether i'm getting to be part of the creative process myself, or just watching in admiration of the creativity of another. I adore people, stories, cultures and adventures and want to capture the beauty of it all! I'll also mention: i don't capitalize "i", except for emphasis, as a statement of equality--i'm no greater than you, him, her or them...so why should i capitalize "I" and not "You"?
    Alissa Ackerman says:

This is super helpful! I’ll pass it on to my younger siblings..

Ain’t that the truth.

expeditioneducation says:

Amen! My very first lesson to my students was the importance of establishing a routine and sticking to it best you can.

8. We were already homeschooling when all of this broke out, so life didn’t change that much, except that all of our getting-out-of-the-house social outlets are gone. And the list of resources is great–we have used many of them!

expeditioneducation says:

Goood I’m glad you like the resources! But I’m sorry your social outlets have disappeared for now

With any luck!

9. littlemisadvencha – Cebu City – Cha of littlemisadvencha is a Filipino Civil Engineer, researcher and a fur mom. She came from General Santos City and finds that everything in life teaches her a lesson. She is inspired to write about and out of her experiences, but later found out that it was her experiences that actually inspire her.
    littlemisadvencha says:

I love this. I see that you really focus on addressing the needs of your children. Great resources. Thank you for sharing these valuable information!

expeditioneducation says:

My kiddos come first always !

expeditioneducation says:

Thank you! Please do… it’s definitely A tough time to be a parent and a student!

10. Wow I found this EXTRA helpful. I really do not have a plan for home schooling I kinda have just been trying to get my 6 year old to get at least an hour of work done in the morning but now I think I am going to do 20 minutes at a time. Shes stubborn and actually hates working with me lol so maybe if I give her a 20 minute time frame each time it will go much more smoothly! Thank you for sharing these amazing tips!

expeditioneducation says:

Yes! Break it up… especially for the little ones. Structure helps && working in small bursts is just less daunting (:

11. Fortunately for us, we were on summer vacation when this pandemic broke out. So what we have to worry about now is the upcoming school year.

expeditioneducation says:

Oh gosh! It’s been wild teaching from home. I don’t think we’ll be back this year at all (we end in the end of june). I wish you luck!

12. Priya Doshi – London – Priya blogs on How To Be A Positive Parent. She blogs about parenting, affiliate marketing, blogging, self-improvement for Mums. She is also a Freelance Writer for Hire.
    howtocz says:

Thank you for your tips. It has been very hard to teach 2 primary school kids at home. We are uanble to complete all the tasks so we just do what we can.

13. Priya Doshi – London – Priya blogs on How To Be A Positive Parent. She blogs about parenting, affiliate marketing, blogging, self-improvement for Mums. She is also a Freelance Writer for Hire.
    Priya says:

Thanks for your tips. It has been very hard to teach 2 primary kids at home. We just do what we can. There has to be sometime left for play and parents to work from home.

No problem! It’s definitely helpful. Haha