Yosemite Tips and Tricks

A picturesque National Park and a must-see for any high-country nature lover. This well know landscape is home to some of the tallest waterfalls, sheerest cliff faces, and most beautiful wilderness. I want you to learn from my mistakes and misgivings so that you may enjoy Yosemite National Park to the best of your ability. Continue reading for information that most of the visitor guides won’t tell you…

1. Fill up your gas tank, and even some gas cans if you have room, BEFORE you enter the park. There are a few gas stations in the park, however, gas will cost you nearly a dollar more a gallon than just a few miles out from the park entrance. Also, many of your points of interest will be multiple miles (and probably hours) deep into the park. Also, know that many of the main points are quite a way from each other. For example, when we drove from our campsite at Tuolumne Meadows down to the Valley Visitor Center it took us an hour and thirty minutes, minimum, but often more with camper and RV traffic! So chances are you will need to get gas in the park at least once.
  2. Public Transportation inside the park is a good way to save on gas, parking struggles and occasionally, traffic. In the valley the shuttle is free and if you take a look right HERE, you can see which lines stop where at what time of year! In much of the valley there is a bus only lane which is helpful for traffic purposes, however, be warned that in the summer months you may wait for 2 or 3 busses to load and/or drive by already full before boarding a bus to your destination.There is also a Tuolumne Shuttle that runs between Tuolumne Meadows and Olmsted Point every half hour between 7 am and 7 pm. This shuttle is not free, it can cost anywhere from $1 to $18. For someone with a “gas-guzzling” vehicle such as a diesel truck or a camper/RV, you could certainly benefit from taking the shuttle around Tioga Road in place of driving it! There will be times when public transportation is the only way to get to a point; for example, when we tried to go to Glacier Point they were only allowing buses. We wanted to hike Taft Point and Sentinel Dome before driving over to Glacier Point, however, so after speaking to the right people we were allowed to drive ourselves to the trailhead.

Such a Busy Summer Day Required Public Transportation ONLY to Glacier Point

3.  The campgrounds have fire pits, bear ‘lockers’, and picnic tables at each site. Any of the fire pits that experienced also had a grate for grilling on it. I wish I could have been more prepared for cooking over the fire (tin foil, BBQ tongs, etc.); I love myself a good s’more and I didn’t get to eat one on my entire trip because I didn’t know that I would have been able to. Also, know that the bear lockers are large and provide more than ample space to conceal all of your scented goods. Bringing some kind of item to organize your belongings in the locker might make your stay even more enjoyable and efficient.
  4. Traffic patterns in Yosemite can be a pain in the butt. The loop around the valley, mid beautiful summers day, is bumper to bumper with people trying to pull into parking lots that are full and zipping in and out of potential spots on the side of the road all while gazing off in awe of the beauty surrounding them.  So needless to say, it’s a shit show, but you can pretty much avoid it if you travel to the valley at or before 8AM. Find a parking spot central to where you want to explore and leave your car right there for the day. We left Tuolumne Meadows before 6 AM on the morning we wanted to hike Vernal and Nevada Falls and it was STILL jam packed when we got to the valley.
  5. Have a plan for some days but leave a few days open to explore places you stumble upon or hear about from people you meet. The plan is a necessity for big driving days such as heading from Tuolumne Meadows to Glacier Point or Yosemite Valley but after talking to people on our travels I am so glad we left days open to suggestions or to simply just explore what we found off the side of the road.

This Beauty Was an Unplanned Hike that Someone Suggested to us!

6. Want to secure a campsite or a wilderness permit? Know where you’ll be staying and for how long with no hassle? Make sure you do so 6 months in advance to the day. Have everything ready to be submitted and send it over at midnight to greatly improve your chances of having exactly what you want during your stay. We tried for a wilderness permit about 4 and a half months in advance and we were turned down; we also wound up having to rely on first come first serve camping which turned out just fine, but not without a few bumps in the road (read below, #7)!
  7. First come first serve campsites can be tricky. We learned this first hand. Do not expect to arrive at noon on a summers day and still be able to snag a space; if you do you just might be one in a million. After just missing a spot on Thursday, I arrived at the Ranger Station at 4:45AM to be met with a line 5 groups deep already! Isn’t that nuts? Bring a camp chair or a crash pad because I was the only unprepared individual sleeping on the blacktop, in my camp blanket with my head on my backpack for a pillow; everyone else was comfortable and warm. Bring breakfast, light reading, snacks, trail maps for planning, etc. because you will sit there for a long time. At 9 AM the ranger(s) will show up and give away available sites to the first groups. Anyone who didn’t make the first cut will place their name on a list to return at 2:00 PM for any sites that become available throughout the day and don’t fret, this is a majority of people. Make sure you show up by 1:45; once your parties name is called you have about 30 seconds to respond before the ranger moves down the list. Also remember that not all campsites are open all year-round, or even a majority of the year! There were 3 different campsites that we had expected to be open that were still closed due to snowthe second week in August!

Tuolumne Meadows Ranger Station, approx 7:00 AM, Reading my Book & Waiting for a Site

8. Night time in Yosemite (Tuolumne Meadows especially) is COLD in the summer. Considering you can spend your daytime sweating through a tank top and shorts in early August, in night time we bundled up with all we had. Being from the North East, we are generally very prepared for cold weather, especially chilly summer nights but didn’t think to pack for nights in the high 30Fs. For example, I would wear my warmest camp socks, sweatpants, a t-shirt, flannel, vest, and raincoat with my headband over my ears for warmth at night, and if I wasn’t near the fire, I was cold. Bringing a packable down coat wouldn’t be a bad idea!

9. Swim. After a hot day of dirt and hiking, find a stream, river or lake to cool off and defunk in. We spent each of our four nights ‘bathing’ in Tenaya Lake, a short 20-minute drive from the Tuolumne Campgrounds. We would often set up our hammock, or bring our Jetboil for dinner and enjoy a beautiful sunset while freshening up before a much-needed nights rest. If you park in the pull off on the road on the North East side of the lake and walk along the beach back through the woods you can easily find a more secluded section of the beach to set up at for a swim and dinner with a view.

Not a Bad View for a Post-Hike Bathing Session

10. Utilize the parks employees! At each welcome center, there are knowledgeable individuals just oozing information. Tell them what you’re looking for and they can provide you with a number of ideas for your best day yet. At many of the popular trailheads during the busy season, PSAR (Preventative Search and Rescue) volunteers can be found as well; although they’re there to prevent illness and injury they are also full of pertinent information so ask away.
  11. Don’t be afraid to hitchhike if your happiness and well-being depend on it. We saw plenty of bilaterally abducted thumbs, signs, you name it! We helped out two guys after a long day of climbing who needed to return to their car and they were great conversationalists; just be cautious!

If you’re looking for accommodation information or trail suggestions you can find them here.

Lembert Dome, Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park

If you have additional questions about this stunning natural wonderland, please don’t hesitate to ask in the comments below!

Save these suggestions for later, click the photo below to PIN ME!

Published by expeditioneducation

Hi there, I'm Kati! I'm an outdoor recreation loving public school teacher who plans epic adventures on her school breaks. If you like to explore and experience beautiful new places on a budget, then let me help you plan your next trip!

29 thoughts on “Yosemite Tips and Tricks

1. Wild Nemophilist – California – A PNW girl currently living in southern California. I'm a former makeup artist who decided that my lifelong career path no longer suited me, or my ideals. Instead I've chosen to get back in touch with my roots by pursuing clinical herbalism, as a means to not only satisfy my own passion for natural living, but to be able to help others as well. I spend as much of my free time as possible outside these days, using hiking, camping, and exploring as a form of therapy.
    Wild Nemophilist says:

I knew Yosemite was crowded, but dang! I would love to visit but have always been so hesitant due to the overcrowding and horrible traffic. Thank you for these tips, I will certainly take them into consideration when I finally make my visit.

1. expeditioneducation – Hello! My name is Kati. I am currently a Middle School Teacher and three season sports coach in upstate New York. If you take a look at my blog you will learn that I love being outside, exploring places near and far, and aspire to create this website into something that inspires others to connect with what's around them. My hope is that you read something here that inspires you to learn more and challenge yourself every day. Don't be afraid to leave your comfort zone for that is where true growth​ begins! Thank you so much for reading!
      expeditioneducationexplorer says:

oh you HAVE to go! crowds or not it’s magical. Stay up on Tioga Road for less crowds on a day to day basis and then just visit the more crowded places!

Wild Nemophilist says:

Thanks for the advice! I’m really not a crowd person and usually go out into nature partially to get away from people haha I have been debating visiting in the “off” season, though I know the park has pretty steady traffic year round.

2. expeditioneducation – Hello! My name is Kati. I am currently a Middle School Teacher and three season sports coach in upstate New York. If you take a look at my blog you will learn that I love being outside, exploring places near and far, and aspire to create this website into something that inspires others to connect with what's around them. My hope is that you read something here that inspires you to learn more and challenge yourself every day. Don't be afraid to leave your comfort zone for that is where true growth​ begins! Thank you so much for reading!
        expeditioneducationexplorer says:

I also hate the idea of ‘nature’ being crowded… and was fairly unhappy at first but there’s so much to do that isn’t crowded. It’s just the iconic items that you kind of have to see it at least drive past that are unbelievable.

3. Wild Nemophilist – California – A PNW girl currently living in southern California. I'm a former makeup artist who decided that my lifelong career path no longer suited me, or my ideals. Instead I've chosen to get back in touch with my roots by pursuing clinical herbalism, as a means to not only satisfy my own passion for natural living, but to be able to help others as well. I spend as much of my free time as possible outside these days, using hiking, camping, and exploring as a form of therapy.
        Wild Nemophilist says:

It is hard to fault people for wanting to see the same beautiful places haha But yeah, it’s a good idea to at least see those points of interest but mostly explore and stay in the less crowded places. And I definitely agree about leaving time open for recommendations and spur of the moment options, I’m such a planner and I’m trying to be more spontaneous on my trips.

2. These are all amazing tips. I new it got packed but not to the point of very ling lines. I guess its always worth it. The parl looks majestically beautiful. Can’t wait to visit one day. Now I know for sure to plan way in advanced.

expeditioneducationexplorer says:

very packed, very quickly each day but like I’ve been saying, well worth it!

1. Oh yes. From the pictures themselves it looks very worth it.

3. Very helpful post! I haven’t been to Yosemite yet, but I always appreciate resources with practical advice like this 🙂 I’ve heard the traffic is a nightmare in some of the parks now, so your tips on gas and transportation are very helpful!

expeditioneducationexplorer says:

A nightmare might actually be an understatement. Well worth it since it truly is such a majestic park and can really be done on a budget though!! If you take one thing out of my post, it’s drive anywhere busy as early as you can muster and enjoy it as early in the day as you can. Then you can retired to your less crowded space up on Tioga Road and enjoy Yosemite’s Wild Places!

4. Victor Step – Finland – I am an ordinary human being that is devoted to inspire and help others to grow, evolve & develop in all way possible, while doing the same for myself.
    Victor Step says:

Funny, the first time I heard about Yosemite was when my Mac updated.. But since then, I have learned so much about the place. It’s really one of the places that I need to visit if I ever go to the US (I love nature). Thanks for sharing!

expeditioneducationexplorer says:

I’m glad I could be helpful! It’s a beautiful park!!

5. I lived in Sonora CA for many years, not far from Yosemite. I have so many fond memories of the park having spent so much time there. It’s a place to get lost. One of my favorite places. In fact I’ts now my son’s annual destination for his family vacation with his wife and two boys. Yosemite, it seems is a family tradition LOL.

6. ayushi – Life is uncertain, eat desserts first! Wanderlust, Amiable, Foodie. People can swear by my love for desserts and cheese! I dream of living by the riverside on the hills with my parents, my bunch of besties and my hubby. I think of traveling the world, watching movies and TV series, and buying all the great lipsticks and dresses out there. I believe in speaking my heart out to uncomplicate things. I believe in the magic of love! I am an IT professional by day and a blogger by night. If given a chance to do something for free, I would travel the world and try out all the possible cuisines!
    ayushi says:

Very helpful and practical tips there Kati, I have only seen and read/heard about Yosemite National park in books, but I do hope I get to see it in reality soon enough and your tips would be really handy then.

7. Ingrid Rizzolo – I am a believer in the sovereignty of God. He is offering to be our partner on the long and winding journey of life
    Ingrid says:

A visit to Yosemite Park is on every body’s to do list. Yet one is not too sure what to look for when one gets there. It is good to know there are knowledgeable employees available who can dispense valuable advice and provide search and rescue services if needed. Access to food is also important when making a trip of this nature so it is good to be assured of campgrounds with necessary fire pits, bear‘lockers’, and picnic tables at each site as well as lockers to organize your belongings.

expeditioneducation says:

I actually have a Yosemite Vacation guide as well with tons of information on those topics! You. can find it under the National Park’s Tab on my main menu

8. Suja – New Britain,Connecticut – It’s a pleasure to meet you all! Welcome to PassionateMoms. I’m so happy you’ve stopped by for a visit. About Me & My Family: My name is Sindhuja a.k.a Suja Dinesh, super excited mom to a hoppin’ kiddo living in Connecticut, USA, and origin from Tamilnadu, India. I’m happily married and nothing excites me more than being a mom. I enjoy every second of what I do with my family. My little munchkin “Rithyaa(Laddu)” and my husband “Dinesh Kumar (Dinu)” are my biggest blog supporters. My daughter understands my blogging schedule with huge patience and she is so cooperative. My husband always stands by my side and supports each crazy idea. Without them, I couldn’t have traveled my blogging journey this long. My Interests & Hobbies: I am an avid reader, creator, writer, movie buff, lover of blogs and bloggers. Also, I am a crafty person and an amateur chef. I love to create handmade items since my childhood. Being creative is not only fun but also gives me a sense of satisfaction of creating something from the scratch. For me, crafting and cooking both are the same. I see cooking as creating some edible DIY project. Trying out new recipes and surprising my family is one of my favorite hobbies. I am a movie buff and I love binge watching my favorite series on Netflix. The days I choose to take leave from blogging will be mostly spent with my family or on my couch snuggling and watching TV. Reading blogs is one of favorite activity which got serious when I was expecting my kid. The blogs, especially from mommy bloggers, offered me a comforting assurance that I am not alone in the motherhood journey. Reading the stories and experiences of each mom with twists and turns just like in my own life was motivating. My inspiration for starting this journey: I always believe in “being real” which is not possible for many women once they become a mother. For being a perfect mom we don’t need to throw our dreams on the back burner. But still in this competitive world, knowing the effort of each Mom who put themselves out there and never gives up is inspiring and I have all the respect in the world for them. Therefore my passion to work for the rights of women inspired me to start this blog. Through Passionate Moms, I hope to promote the nobility of motherhood and motivate women to follow their dreams and support them with the toughest job of raising value-oriented children. Consequently, I try to deliver one of a kind inspiring and informative posts about, parenting, cooking, writing, and DIY crafts tutorials. Thanks for all your support for encouraging me to continue doing this. I hope some of what I do helps inspire others to pursue their passion and make them realize it’s not too late. Aside from all the posts I have published on my own site, I also write regularly for Collective Voice Magazine and Raising World Children. I’ve also guest blogged for many fellow bloggers. Click here to check out my other articles. I would love to get to know you more, too, so feel free to leave an introduction and link to your blog, if you have one!If you have any questions, kindly use the comment section of the page or you can email me at passionatemoms@gmail.com Your feedback and comments are highly appreciated.
    Suja aka Sindhuja Kumar says:

Wow! These are all such useful tips. I have never been to Yosemite but this post interests me to plan a Yosemite trip. Thanks for sharing.

9. Suja – New Britain,Connecticut – It’s a pleasure to meet you all! Welcome to PassionateMoms. I’m so happy you’ve stopped by for a visit. About Me & My Family: My name is Sindhuja a.k.a Suja Dinesh, super excited mom to a hoppin’ kiddo living in Connecticut, USA, and origin from Tamilnadu, India. I’m happily married and nothing excites me more than being a mom. I enjoy every second of what I do with my family. My little munchkin “Rithyaa(Laddu)” and my husband “Dinesh Kumar (Dinu)” are my biggest blog supporters. My daughter understands my blogging schedule with huge patience and she is so cooperative. My husband always stands by my side and supports each crazy idea. Without them, I couldn’t have traveled my blogging journey this long. My Interests & Hobbies: I am an avid reader, creator, writer, movie buff, lover of blogs and bloggers. Also, I am a crafty person and an amateur chef. I love to create handmade items since my childhood. Being creative is not only fun but also gives me a sense of satisfaction of creating something from the scratch. For me, crafting and cooking both are the same. I see cooking as creating some edible DIY project. Trying out new recipes and surprising my family is one of my favorite hobbies. I am a movie buff and I love binge watching my favorite series on Netflix. The days I choose to take leave from blogging will be mostly spent with my family or on my couch snuggling and watching TV. Reading blogs is one of favorite activity which got serious when I was expecting my kid. The blogs, especially from mommy bloggers, offered me a comforting assurance that I am not alone in the motherhood journey. Reading the stories and experiences of each mom with twists and turns just like in my own life was motivating. My inspiration for starting this journey: I always believe in “being real” which is not possible for many women once they become a mother. For being a perfect mom we don’t need to throw our dreams on the back burner. But still in this competitive world, knowing the effort of each Mom who put themselves out there and never gives up is inspiring and I have all the respect in the world for them. Therefore my passion to work for the rights of women inspired me to start this blog. Through Passionate Moms, I hope to promote the nobility of motherhood and motivate women to follow their dreams and support them with the toughest job of raising value-oriented children. Consequently, I try to deliver one of a kind inspiring and informative posts about, parenting, cooking, writing, and DIY crafts tutorials. Thanks for all your support for encouraging me to continue doing this. I hope some of what I do helps inspire others to pursue their passion and make them realize it’s not too late. Aside from all the posts I have published on my own site, I also write regularly for Collective Voice Magazine and Raising World Children. I’ve also guest blogged for many fellow bloggers. Click here to check out my other articles. I would love to get to know you more, too, so feel free to leave an introduction and link to your blog, if you have one!If you have any questions, kindly use the comment section of the page or you can email me at passionatemoms@gmail.com Your feedback and comments are highly appreciated.
    Suja says:

Wow! These are all such useful tips. I have never been to Yosemite but your post interests me to plan a Yosemite trip. Looks like an adventurous trip. Thanks for sharing.

10. Yosemite is a nature lovers paradise, heaven on earth. There so much to do, El Capitan, Half Dome, the High Sierra and Yosemite Falls my personal favorite and more. Thanks for the pointers on how to best enjoy Yosemite, first-timers will surely appreciate having this knowledge.

11. The Motivated Mom – DFW, Texas – LaToyia Dennis helps moms create strategies for success to live a healthy life of purpose, in abundance, and financially free by offering motivational, inspirational, and educational content that allows them to fund their dreams and be great women and extraordinary moms without compromising their family life.
    The Motivated Mom says:

This sounds amazing! The crowds are discouraging but my goodness….the photos are experiences sound fantastic.

Share your thoughts