Although I love to get rough, tough, down and dirty with the best of them, I do like to maintain some of my girliness! These beauty hacks should help you maintain your femininity and hygiene whilst being a complete and utter badass in the backcountry.
- Hawaiian tropic sunblock with shimmer. Do you burn easily? I know I do! Sunblock is a necessity for this girl in the outdoors but I hate the smell and slimy-ness associated with most blocks. Hawaiian Tropic has become a staple in my backpack for a few reasons; first, it smells good; second, it applies like a good cream as opposed to an oily block; third and finally, it has a nice shimmer to it which makes you sparkle in the sunshine.
- Moisturizer with SPF. Keep your face feeling like a baby’s bottom while also protecting your face from UV Rays in one simple step. Burt’s Bees Nourishing Skin Lotion for 15 SPF is a great place to start; remember, even my hiking pals with darker skin-tones, sun protection is of the utmost importance!
- LUSH toothy tabs. One of LUSH’s best creations. These natural toothpaste tabs are perfect for sleeping outside and traveling in general. Clean your pearly whites without damaging the outdoors with this convenient, natural solution to tubed toothpaste. Added suggestion, for backpackers and travelers alike, cut your toothbrush in half a for better storage space.
- LUSH soap and hair products. When backpacking for multiple days at a time and needing a river or lake bath is a likely occurrence, using natural LUSH products makes life easy AND keeps you feeling and looking clean! The SEANIK bar is my go-to shampoo and I suggest a minty-fresh body wash.
- Dry Shampoo. Another winning product for us ladies. Whether you’re looking for some texture in your backcountry braids or hoping to give your oily roots a quick makeover on the trail, dry shampoo has saved the day many a time for me! Similar to my toothbrush suggestion above, cut your hairbrush in half as well to save space but still have a sturdy brush to attack that hair with. Clean Freak Refreshing Dry Shampoo from Not Your Mothers Travel Collection is my go-to!
- Chapstick with tint. Chapstick alone is a necessity, but adding a little girly tint to your chapstick can have you feeling delicate and girly while you are straight CRUSHING a long hike like a boss. Added bonus that your whole face will light up in those nature photos! For a hint of color and 8-hour of moisturization check out Burt’s Bees Tinted Lip Balm.
- Burt’s Bees Complexion Stick. Especially on those long backcountry trips or backpacking city trips, you’re definitely prone to some grime and stress acne. The Burt’s Bees Herbal Complexion stick is small, effective and 99.9% natural! Attack those pesky pimples right away with your blemish stick and travel worry-free.
- Burt’s Bees Facial Cleansing Towelettes. Another lifesaver by Burt’s Bees. I like to add a drop of water for extra sudsing power to clear my face of the day’s sweat and dirt after a long day on the trail. I tend to have skin that is more on the dry side so I use the Cucumber & Sage Wipes, however, there are many different varieties!
- Detangler. A girl with long hairs best friend! Helps in the rough brushing after a day on the trail, lake or beach and also leaves your hair smelling much better than it had previously. I am a HUGE fan of Not Your Mothers Way to Grow Leave in Conditioner; formulated to lengthen and strengthen your hair while moisturizing and detangling it, you cannot leave this product home if you plan on getting your hair even the slightest bit wet.
I hope you take some of these suggestions with you on your next big adventure! Please be aware that I am in no way affiliated with any of these brands (although, I wish I was!), I have simply found success and pleasure in the use of their products. Please share some of your backwoods hygiene and beauty suggestions below!
P.S. Braids and Hats are the best way to keep your hair looking ‘clean’ after multiple, difficult days on the trail!