I grabbed this 20L pack off of Amazon at a discounted price in exchange for an honest review. My first impression of the pack was that I found it ‘neat’. It comes wrapped up, in a pouch within itself, which in my opinion, already makes it a great day pack. Being an avid backcountry backpacker, I’ve come to realize it is much easier to leave your heavy, multi-day pack at the bottom of a tough ascent and throw the essentials in a quick day pack to summit. The most difficult part of this very simple task is finding a daypack that doesn’t waste precious space within your full pack but is still functional and structured enough to act as your day pack when you need it to be. I also like to take a smaller pack with me when I travel abroad; my 44L carry-on backpack will carry all of my belongings for any trip but I don’t want to lug that sucker around everywhere no matter how much I love it! I need a day pack for excursions. The 20L NeatPack is perfect for the job.
The first test in store for this pack was a short paddle boarding adventure on Lake Ontario. It held up great and carried all of my needs comfortably. There are many pockets within this small bag which makes it easy to organize your belongings. My sunblock, snacks, cover up, water bottle and GoPro accessories were all separated, well organized and easy to access in my NeatPack. Luckily, I did not fall in – although I came close – so there will be no review of its drying capabilities. However, the bag is made up of mesh and RipStop Nylon which in my previous experiences tends to dry fairly well. Your belongings stored inside are a completely different story.
Since my first excursion, this backpack has since made it across a 10 day Western Canada backpacking trip, through the cities of Sweden and Finland, from Sequoia to Kings Canyon to Yosemite National park, and on countless weekend trips to cities and forests alike. It has held up to the test this past year and a half with my only complaint being that I’ve torn a side water bottle pocket (my own fault, it got stuck to a sharp object on my overnight pack). It’s a great bag to bring along for any adventure!
18×10″ daypack, weighing a mear 9.8 ounces, folds up small into the included 8×8″ pocket for easy transport & space saving. This ‘included’ pocket is actually attached to the bag and folds into the main compartment as an additional small storage space.
There are unique security features: The zippers can be bound securely to the D-ring with a cable lock or carabiner to deter theft! Concealed bottom zip pocket is great for storing valuables on the go. I actually didn’t realize this pocket was here until I went to fold it back up.
It is well made. Lightweight, water-resistant nylon holds up to wear alongside 2-way, abrasion resistant SBS zippers with pulls. Lightly padded, adjustable shoulder straps are comfortable yet sturdy enough to support your needs.
2 D-rings are conveniently attached to the bag with reflective fabric safety loops. These are great for clip-on carabiners and other types of gear (fast-access convenience). The bag also has mesh pockets on each side which are great for water bottles and/or quick snacks.
Register your backpack on the NeatPack website to be eligible for the lifetime guarantee.
What Would I Change?
Honestly? not very much. The pack was comfortable and has all the necessary functions of an effective day pack. A few functions would make it even better though:
- Sternum Strap. These help your pack to stay put while you hustle and bustle around and in my opinion, they’re incredibly useful. Buckle Gear sells a universal backpack sternum strap that might work for this pack though!
- Waist Strap. Also integral to backpack comfort. Again, Buckle Gear sells a universal backpack waist trap that fits many internal frames.
- Hydration Pack Pocket. Personally, I do not carry a hydration pack on my hikes or paddles but I know many people who do. These people would not be fond of the NeatPack considering their precious hydration packs would have nowhere to rest comfortably and be accessible.
- Color Choices. I’m fairly rough and tough but I love to add a feminine touch to my life, especially through my gear. I’d love a deep purple (which is kind of unisex) or a grey and pink bag! I like the black a lot, and functionality sure beats decoration but people can’t turn down a bag with a great color scheme.
- Caribeaner. The pack has two great D rings that are multi-purposeful. Include a sweet carabiner with purchase for people to attach items from their bag and/or use this to secure packed day pack to the outside of a large travel bag for additional space! I do this with the beaners I already own, but some might not think of it!
I’ve really enjoyed all of my adventures with my 20L NeatPack! If you’d like to try it out for yourself you can grab one HERE !!
I will receive a small portion of your sale, at no additional cost to you, if you purchase from the link above! Thank you for your support!